Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Disassemble the bed and rear fenders of my 1955 Ford F100

The Bed was the worst part of the truck, so I couldn't wait to tear into it. 
I had to dissemble this all to get the bed off anyway.  You can't paint the cab or bed with it attached to the frame.
The bolts go into the metal trim, then the wood and then into the frame in many places in the bed.  May of those places along the edges had enough rust that the bolts would just spin.  I had a hell of a time getting about 1/2 the bolts out while most of the ones in the middle or not attached to the frame were fine.

The air chisel worked great if you are cutting the heads off and are 90% of the way there.  I tore up some of the edges with the air chisel pushing the bolts into the rust and making the hole into slots, so watch out for that.

After trying EVERYTHING, the best method for dealing with spinning bolts was to take my grinder and make a deep slot that I could get my biggest strait slot screw driver into.  Then my son hit it with an impact wrench from under the bed.  Hit everything with penetrating oil a day before you start. It's worth the 24hr wait.  This hit it again before you start.

If I could start over, I would scrap the bed and get a new one.  Instead I decided to just cover all the damage with roll on bed liner. See the next post.







New Flowmaster Dual Exhaust!  That was about $300


No comments:

Post a Comment