Tuesday, January 30, 2018

1955 Ford F100 Firewall Updates and Electronic Ignition

I cleaned up the firewall on the truck, replaced some rusted out electronics and put in electronic ignition. 
If something could get screwed up, I screwed it up.  Here is how I fixed everything without having it towed to a repair shop.

My 55 Ford has a 302 out of a 68' Mustang.  It also has a Top Loader 3 on the tree manual transmission.

Painted some stuff and got the heater ready to be installed with a new motor.  The old motor was rotted out and was still 6 volt.  My new heater is 6 volt too, so I added a resistor that will bring the 12v down to 6v.

Painted this black with some shaker can Rustoleum


Some before and after pictures Had to move horn relay to make room for heater (that was not installed when I got the truck)  I can't seem to find replacement heaters anywhere.  I guess no one makes reproductions?


While installing heater hoses (remember I said it came with no heater) I pulled out the distributor without marking it!  Stupid!  Took me 4 hours to get it back into the right place.
Then the fitting leaked and I had to pull it out again a week later and this time the rod fell into the oil pan, but i could still reach it!  I took a plastic straw from a sports bottle and heated it up with boiling water and then used a screw driver that was the same diameter to stretch the straw to be the same size as the rod.  Then I taped that to a long screw driver and lowered it over the rod and had to push hard to slide the rod into the straw, then I was able to pull it up and put it back in the right place.  Then I pushed a long skinny screw driver down the straw to release the distributor rod where I needed it to be.
Now if you have screwed up the timing and its in the wrong spot (will not start or back fires) you can use a combination of a flashlight to look into spark plug hole number 1 while turning the crank to see when top dead center comes up. They should be close to your timing mark too.  Be carefull that you don't mix up top dead center before spark and the exhaust stroke.  You don't want the exhaust stroke.





The truck has a fiberglass hood.  I painted the inside with the left over bedliner paint.




No comments:

Post a Comment