Saturday, October 6, 2018

Installing a floor shifter in a 1955 Ford F-100 for my 3 speed top loader

I wanted power steering, and the only way to do that was to move my 3 on the free to the floor.
This took me about 2 months of ordering the wrong parts, designing my own mounting brackets and then looking for shifter linkage on ebay that I could bend a little and fit into my layout.

I have a 1955 Ford F-100 with a 1969 Mustang 302 V8 and a 1966 Top loader 3-speed manual transmission also from a mustang.

I started with a kit for a Mustang, but the rods were too long and I couldn't change the shifter stick if it was too close to the seat, so don't do that.  Just buy a Master Shift for a 3 speed and buy the parts you need to build your own custom setup.  If I had used the Mustang kit my shifter would been under the seat.  I had to move it up and forward about 4" with my custom bracket.

Here are my pictures to get an idea of how I did it.  I had the guys at work cut it out of 1/2" aluminum plate for me on a waterjet after I designed it in AutoDesk Fusion 360.  I will get around to posting the cad model soon if anyone wants to get one cut too. I reused the mounting plate that was made for this transmission as a spacer because I needed the shifter to be about 1/2" more to the left.








I used some skinny $3 rods from Home Depot to mockup what I needed for shifter linkage and then searched ebay for linkage that was close.  They were easy to bend when I put them in a vice and slowly bent them by placing a a 4 foot iron pipe over the linkage and used that as bending leverage.


No comments:

Post a Comment